Diabetic Foot Bankstown
Podiatrist in Bankstown
Diabetic Foot Care Including Doppler Ultrasound assessment
Diabetes mellitus is a condition where the affected person has high blood sugar, either due to failure of insulin production in the Pancreas (Type 1) or because the cells in the body are resistant to insulin (Type 2).
National Diabetes Health Care Guidelines recommend people with diabetes have their feet checked by a podiatrist every 6-12 months.
Podiatrists are one of the essential professions within diabetic care, and have an important role to play in preventing and managing foot complications amongst people with diabetes. Feet can be greatly affected by diabetes and should be monitored regularly for any changes. Diabetic patients are at risk of decreased blood flow to their feet as well as peripheral neuropathy (loss of nerve sensation) to their feet.
How diabetes affects your feet?
- Diabetes can cause nerve damage (numbness, pins/needles) on your feet known as peripheral neuropathy.
- Diabetes can affect the circulation in the feet. Poor circulation means that your body’s normal response to healing is reduced.
- People with diabetes are more prone to foot infections.
- Diabetes complications can lead to foot ulcers and amputations.
- Diabetes can affect joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments causing them to change making them stiffer.
At Sydney Foot Clinic we will perform comprehensive annual foot assessments (more regularly if required) to determine any risk factors and ensure your feet are in good health. The diabetic assessment involve;
- Multiple neurological (nerve sensation) assessments. A non-invasive and painless assessment of the nerve sensation in the feet.
- Circulation testing – checking the arterial circulation (pulses) in the feet – if needed a Doppler ultrasound will be used to help assess the circulation.
- Skin and nail care.
- Gait analysis – watching the way you walk if needed.
Further to the assessment, footwear education will also be given ensuring the most comfortable, protective yet safest shoe is selected for you. The podiatrist will also cut the toenails, remove and debride any corns or calluses if necessary.
Due to an increase risk of foot complications in the feet, diabetics are often advised to get their toenails cut by a podiatrist. Whilst not all diabetics need their nails cut, those at risk of circulation problems, loss of feeling in their feet, eye site problems or a decrease in flexibility are often advised to see a podiatrist.
Failure of wound healing or ulcers on your feet can occur if you have diabetes and have associated complications including changes to the blood flow. This risk is significantly higher if your blood glucose control is poor, and healing these can be very challenging.
If you have diabetes and suffer from any foot complaints or want a podiatric assessment contact Sydney Foot Clinic.
END YOUR SUFFERING – CONTACT DIABETIC FOOT BANKSTOWN
Sydney Foot Clinic is a podiatry clinic with a difference. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality lower limb and foot care services utilising the most advanced podiatry technology. Our podiatrists have been providing the Western Sydney community with personalised podiatry care with a focus on results.
Next time you visit the podiatry team at Moorebank for your diabetic foot check up and you will notice our level of professionalism. Apart from your heel pain We offer a variety of preventative care services such as surgical Interventions to treat chronic ingrown toenails, Orthotic therapy, dry needling, wound care, diabetic sensation and blood flow testing and many more.
Diabetic Foot Bankstown Address
Visit Us today at our Moorebank Clinic.
Shop 43/19 Moorebank Shopping Centre, Corner of Maddecks Av and Stockton Ave Moorebank NSW 2170. (Inside Moorebank Shopping Village Medical Centre)
You will find us conveniently located inside Moorebank Shopping Village Medical Centre, part of the Moorebank Shopping Village. Appointments are necessary, we will accommodate patients with early, lunch or late appointments where possible.
Phone : (02) 9601 6886
Fax : (02) 9601 6001
- Parking onsite more than 300 spaces in the centre car park
- Street parking available
- Disability access
- Diabetic foot assessments
- Biomechanical assessments
- General foot and nail care
- Sports podiatry
- Children podiatry
- Ingrown toe nail surgery
- Prolotherapy Dry needling (western accupuncture)
Sydney Foot Clinic Bankstown offers podiatry services in your local suburbs:
- Chipping Norton
- Georges Fair
- Wattle Grove
- Condell Park
- Mount Pritchard
- Hoxton Park
- Edmenson Park